Delicious and Hot Creamy Mushroom Soup for warming our cold winter evenings
offered by La Maison Fleurie – French restaurant in Limassol, Tel. +357 25320680
- 500 gr mixed mushrooms, cleaned, stems separated from caps
- 500 gr white mushrooms, cleaned, stems separated from caps
- 1/2 cup minced shallot
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1/4 cup cognac
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 4 cups rich homemade chicken stock
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- Rough chop the mushroom stems and simmer them, covered, in the chicken broth for about an hour.
- In the meantime, heat the oil in a large skillet, and saute the shallots until transparent. Add the herbs and salt & pepper liberally.
- Beautifully and precisely chop the mushroom caps into a 1/2″ dice. Add them to the shallots as they are chopped. Keep the heat very low and cook gently until the mushroom liquid is released and reabsorbed. Shake the pan so they don’t stick. Remove the thyme and rosemary.
- Turn up the heat and add the cognac. Flame it if you’re feeling really chef-y. Cook the mushroom cap/shallot mixture down (after cognac) until well reduced and starting to turn a little golden on the edges.
- Strain the mushroom stems from the chicken broth.
- Add the beautiful mushroom cap and shallot mixture to the strained broth and heat gently.
- Swirl in the cream and chives and serve. Or serve in small sipping cups topped with chives and lightly whipped cream, if you want to get fancy.